Proposal Development Manager
POSTED May 26, 2021
Avenue Consultants has successfully delivered a wide range of professional services in the public sector across the U.S. for over fifteen years. We are looking for an experienced Proposal Development Manager who can build and scale pursuit development and proposal writing to over 25 proposals every year and build out a team in the future.
We have a great reputation in the industry with employees working out of six locations with clients in nine different states and we continue to build our national presence.
Ideally, the successful candidate will have experience developing proposals in the professional services field focusing on government, transportation and/or the environmental sectors—with an innovative and creative eye for marketing in these markets.
We are a highly collaborative team and work together primarily in our Taylorsville office. The Proposal Development Manager will also support pursuits with teams working out of our St. George, Clearfield, Logan, Richfield, and Orem locations.
The Proposal Manager is responsible for leading, managing, and coordinating the proposal development life cycle. You will play an essential role across our business working with our executive leadership, project managers, sector leads, partners, and marketing team to develop high quality messaging that satisfies RFPs and hits deadlines.
Influence business strategy by participating in planning meetings with our executive team, pursuit managers, and pursuit teams providing insights to the responsibilities below.
- Collaborate and partner – engage subject matter experts; engineers and professional staff (internally and externally); as well as client stakeholders to prepare accurate and winning themes and statements. Prepare teams and engineers for interviews in response to advanced RFP stages. Debrief teams after proposal submittal and decision. Create and solidify relationships with our clients and industry stakeholders
- Manage strategic and tactical pursuits – act as the central point for the proposal development process. Prepare and maintain proposal calendar.
- Manage full-life-cycle proposal development – write, edit, design, and develop clear concise responses to RFPs, RFQs and RFIs. Craft pursuit messaging with a compelling consistent voice that resonates and differentiates us. Curate and maintain client-facing content and positioning responses, materials, and collateral in a content library.
- Develop best practices – build scalable and repeatable proposal processes, proposal budgets, messaging; research and share competitive intelligence, legal requirements, and quality control best practices. Stay up to date with government and public services (GPS) trends as well as industry-wide best practices in proposal management.
- Continuous improvement of proposal management – analyze, track, and report on processes and results of various types of proposals, responses, processes, tools, and templates.
- Compliance and accuracy – ensure the necessary elements are in place to win and fulfill the contract (insurance coverage, permits, licenses, and forms, etc.)
- Priorities and efficiencies – adjust to shifting priorities, adhere to deadlines, be flexible with last minute requirements; sometimes we work the occasional evening/weekend to accomplish tasks within non-negotiable client deadlines
- Minimum of eight (8) years in federal, state and/or local government proposal development response to and pursuit of contracts and awards; or other relevant experience in professional services working with institutions like higher education, energy, mining, utilities, public infrastructure, or health care.
- Bachelor’s degree desired but demonstrated success with proposal development and pursuit management is the priority. Any formal education in Business, English, Journalism, Marketing or Communications is valuable. Training or certifications in formal capture/proposal methodologies is a big plus.
- Experience leading small and large complex proposals for projects with minimum values ranging from $50k to $250m; managing multiple proposals at once; and meeting proposal timelines ranging from two-three week turn-around times to 24-month pursuits. Knowledge and understanding of federal / state procurement regulations and practices.
- Experience leading teams in strategic and tactical discussions; proficient in public speaking and presentations; as well as preparing subject matter experts for advanced proposal discussions.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving ability; attention to detail and exceptional follow-up skills; ability to analyze information and make sound observations and recommendations quickly.
- Keen listener, with the ability to quickly grasp ideas to be reflected in written documents and presentations.
- Ability to work with consideration and efficiency in a demanding, deadline-driven environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint Excel), Publisher, Photoshop, Visio, and other design software. We have an in-house graphic design team to support your efforts.
We review every resume, so we appreciate clean, simple resumes presented in chronological order. Tell us about your accomplishments and how you achieved them or send some samples of your work.
Our interviews start with getting to know you as a person – we’ll talk about why you are excited about our industry and where you can thrive in our company. Then we’ll get into the technical stuff.
Send your resume to email@example.com
Avenue provides competitive benefits including annual bonuses to eligible full-time employees, electric stand-up desks, excellent medical, dental and vision, holidays, PTO, 401(k) with employer match, short and long-term disability, life insurance, and more.
Our Taylorsville office is located 15 minutes from SLC, 20 minutes from Draper, and 25 minutes from Herriman.
Travel expectations less than 10%
Office hours are generally 8:00a – 6:00p
Work from home as needed based on the needs of the business
Physical requirements consistent with general office work
Avenue Consultants Is an Equal Opportunity Employer